The Benefits of using a Realtor® for your New Construction Home
By Valinda Hanna-Lazarus
The AM Group
Keller Williams Port St Lucie
As we continue to see a positive trend of residential home sales here in the Treasure Coast, new home construction has become a significant part of the equation. Prices for newly built homes are well within many buyers reach, and the opportunity to custom design specific home features make new construction a very appealing option.
But where to begin? More than ever there are so many builders and styles to choose from. Many buyers simply take that Sunday afternoon drive down builder’s row intending to just look, but a few hours later leave with a signed contract. I was one of those buyers about fifteen years ago. Relocating here from Broward County, I drove around looking at model homes until I walked into one I just had to have! I was not a Realtor® at the time but in retrospect, I wished I had used one. Although the experience was not harrowing, there were certain difficulties along the way that a Realtor’s skills and knowledge would have assisted in smoothing out.
Here are some reasons why you should use a qualified professional Realtor® for that new construction home purchase:
- Realtors® are typically familiar with the style, options, and location of a variety of new construction builders.
- A Realtor® can help with the negotiation of your contract.
- Many Realtors® are transaction agents and as such their goal is to work with both the buyers and sellers to ensure the smooth and efficient completion of the transaction.
- An experienced Realtor® will have an extensive knowledge of the local community including schools, services, property taxes, future neighborhood developments, and real estate trends.
- While the home is being constructed, if the buyer is not local, the Realtor® can be that third-party checking on the progress and sending pictures (this is where I ran into some issues when I was building, as sometimes I could not drive up to take a quick look at a last-minute feature change).
- A Realtor® can be a reasoning voice to help you stick to your budget by finding the best new construction builder that will meet your needs at your price-point (many model homes are filled with thousands of dollars of upgrades that can entice a buyer to overspend).
- Some builders have in-house financing or lender partners they work with. Realtors® usually work with several lenders and can refer you to highly qualified lenders that can quote competitive prices and terms.
So, if you are considering a new construction as an option consult with a local REALTOR® first. Your Realtor® will be more than happy to travel with you to different builder models even if you’re just beginning your search. When you find that right one, the builder and their sales’ team will work alongside you and your Realtor® to make your new home a reality!A real estate best practice: “Always choose a local Realtor® to represent you when dealing with all types of real estate endeavors to ensure you have someone working in your best interest!” The experienced sales staff of The A M Group with Keller Williams Port St Lucie, Andrew Szaniszlo, Margarita Hunt, Valinda Hanna-Lazarus and Renee Sifone are local Realtors® with years of experience working with builders, developers, and existing sales to help buyers achieve their real estate objectives.